Posts for: June, 2019
Veneers are wafer-thin coverings that go over the surface of the teeth. Veneers are made of strong porcelain that act as natural tooth enamel. Like natural tooth enamel, veneers are translucent and tough, but don't stain like tooth enamel does.
Veneers are thin which is means you don't have to worry about your teeth protruding. The doctor removes some enamel from the surface of your teeth to prevent the protrusion, but this process is permanent.
Not everyone is a good candidate. Veneers are not a good option if,
- Teeth are significantly misaligned so orthodontic treatment may be necessary
- Severe dental trauma and decay (extreme decay and missing teeth)
Advantages of Veneers:
- Size and Shape: Some people are born with irregularly-shaped teeth, like pointed ends. Teeth are also worn down over time due to teeth-grinding (bruxism). Whatever the reason, you can make custom veneers that'll have the shape and size that'll give you a great smile.
- Alignment and Spacing: Sometimes people have gaps between their teeth that need closing. If you have minor gaps and misaligned, slightly crooked teeth, veneers can help conceal those issues, while providing teeth with a beautiful color and shape.
- Color: Teeth staining is a natural process. With aging, yellow dentin under the enamel starts becoming more visible. Other lifestyle choices also change the color of your teeth, like eating certain types of food such as blueberries; drinking tea, coffee, or sodas; or smoking or chewing tobacco.
Caring for Your Veneers:
- Gently brush and floss your teeth every day.
- Regular checkups at the dental office.
- Don't exert too much pressure on veneers.
- Use custom-made night-guard to protect veneers.
If you want a smile makeover, call your cosmetic dentist Dr. Eugene Porcelli at (516) 739-1851 to learn more about veneers at his Garden City, NY, office.
If you have a weakened smile because of damaged, broken teeth, you can improve it! If you have a smile that has lost its beauty and appeal, you can enhance it. The answer to achieving a stronger, more beautiful smile is dental crowns. Dental crowns are made of materials that are strong and beautiful, to give you the smile you deserve.
Dr. Eugene Porcelli at Garden City Family Dental in Garden City, New York offers a full range of restorative, cosmetic, and preventive services including dental crowns to make you proud of your smile.
If you have lost a large amount of tooth structure due to decay, dental trauma, or other causes, don’t worry. Dental crowns can restore your full chewing ability, so you can enjoy the foods you love again.
A dental crown strengthens your damaged tooth by covering the entire visible surface of your tooth above the gumline. The crown provides a strong, protective shield, so when you bite down, your tooth won’t fracture or break. You don’t have to worry about losing more vital tooth structure.
Dental crowns aren’t just about strength; they can also add to the beauty of your smile. That’s because modern crown materials like porcelain, resist stains. Porcelain can also be matched closely to the color of your existing teeth, so your new crown will blend with your smile, looking completely natural. Porcelain is also light-reflective and closely mimics the look of natural tooth enamel. In fact, porcelain is one of the most popular choices for a dental crown material.
You can also choose porcelain which has been fused to a metal underlay, known as a PFM crown. These crowns combine the strength of metal with the beauty of porcelain, to give you the best of both worlds. These crowns are an excellent choice for back teeth where you need extra strength.
You need to discover for yourself how dental crowns can improve your smile. To find out more about what dental crowns can do for you, call Dr. Eugene Porcelli at Garden City Family Dental in Garden City, New York today!