Posts for: December, 2020
A family dentist deals with oral health issues for everyone, from adults to babies. Dr. Eugene Porcelli of Garden City Family Dental in Garden City, NY, provides many services, like regular dental checkups and professional dental cleanings.
What can your family dentist provide?
- Dental Implants: If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Dental implants are tooth-like oral appliances that replace missing tooth roots. Tooth loss deteriorates bones without proper support. If you decide to get a dental implant, it has a 95% success rate, provided you have good oral health.
- Crowns: A porcelain dental crown covers a damaged tooth. When your tooth is severely decayed and large portions of it are removed, your family dentist uses a dental crown to help preserve what remains of your natural tooth. The crown supports teeth and conceals cracks, dents, and chips.
- TMJ Treatment: Temporomandibular joint syndrome is a disorder accompanied by consistent pain in the area near your ear, jaw, or muscles on the side of your face. You may feel clicking or popping and/or suffer from restricted jaw movement. Your Garden City dentist treats patients for TMJ and many other issues.
Advantages of A Family dentist?
- Having one dentist is easy because only one dental expert has all your family history, which makes treatment and emergencies more manageable.
- It is considered preventive care because Dr. Porcelli provides regular dental exams and professional dental cleanings to protect teeth from serious tooth decay that may lead to tooth loss and gum disease.
- It consolidates appointments for all ages to a single visit, instead of going to multiple specialists.
Need more information?
For more information about family dentistry and what a family dentist can do for you, be sure to contact Dr. Eugene Porcelli of Garden City Family Dental in Garden City, NY, at 516-739-1851 today.
We can help you brush up on habits and skills to maintain a beautiful, healthy smile.
How often do you think about or assess your daily at-home dental routine? Probably never, right? Brushing (and hopefully flossing) your teeth is as commonplace as brushing your hair or making your bed, so you probably don’t think much about how you care for your smile; however, maybe it’s time you did. To ensure that you get a clean bill of health from our Garden City, NY, family dentist Dr. Eugene Porcelli the next time you come into the office, here are some tips to improve your dental habits.
Choose the Right Toothbrush
There are so many different toothbrush options these days that you may feel like your head spins every time you wander down the oral care aisle; however, choosing the right toothbrush is where many people fail. It’s important that your toothbrush head is the right shape and size to be able to get into all those areas of your smile, including your back teeth and hard-to-reach spots.
Whether you choose a manual or electric toothbrush is up to you; however, if you have trouble with dexterity (for example, people with arthritis in their hands or wrists), you may find that an electric toothbrush is easier to maneuver. It’s also crucial that you choose a toothbrush with soft bristles. Contrary to what you might think, hard bristles will not give you a cleaner smile, but they can wear away teeth and cause gum irritation.
Don’t Brush Too Hard
Many people push just a little too hard when they clean their teeth. Remember, scrubbing your teeth or putting a lot of pressure on them won’t get them cleaner. In fact, this will simply wear away your teeth. Plaque can be easily removed with a soft-bristled toothbrush, so you don’t have to scrub your teeth to get them free of plaque.
If your Garden City NY family dentist has told you that you brush too aggressively you may want to consider trading in your manual brush for an electric toothbrush, which will apply just the right amount of pressure to your teeth.
Make Sure You’re Brushing Long Enough
How long do you brush your teeth? Unfortunately, many people don’t brush their teeth long enough. You need to brush your teeth for at least two minutes each time you brush (in the morning and again at night right before bed). If you don’t have an electric toothbrush with a built-in timer, make sure to set an alarm on your phone.
Keeping your teeth and gums clean doesn’t have to be difficult. Our Garden City, NY, family dentist, and his team, are here to help. If it’s time to schedule your next dental cleaning, call Garden City Family Dental at (516) 739-1851.