Veneers are wafer-thin coverings that go over the surface of the teeth. Veneers are made of strong porcelain that act as natural tooth enamel. Like natural tooth enamel, veneers are translucent and tough, but don't stain like tooth enamel does.
Veneers are thin which is means you don't have to worry about your teeth protruding. The doctor removes some enamel from the surface of your teeth to prevent the protrusion, but this process is permanent.
Not everyone is a good candidate. Veneers are not a good option if,
- Teeth are significantly misaligned so orthodontic treatment may be necessary
- Severe dental trauma and decay (extreme decay and missing teeth)
Advantages of Veneers:
- Size and Shape: Some people are born with irregularly-shaped teeth, like pointed ends. Teeth are also worn down over time due to teeth-grinding (bruxism). Whatever the reason, you can make custom veneers that'll have the shape and size that'll give you a great smile.
- Alignment and Spacing: Sometimes people have gaps between their teeth that need closing. If you have minor gaps and misaligned, slightly crooked teeth, veneers can help conceal those issues, while providing teeth with a beautiful color and shape.
- Color: Teeth staining is a natural process. With aging, yellow dentin under the enamel starts becoming more visible. Other lifestyle choices also change the color of your teeth, like eating certain types of food such as blueberries; drinking tea, coffee, or sodas; or smoking or chewing tobacco.
Caring for Your Veneers:
- Gently brush and floss your teeth every day.
- Regular checkups at the dental office.
- Don't exert too much pressure on veneers.
- Use custom-made night-guard to protect veneers.
If you want a smile makeover, call your cosmetic dentist Dr. Eugene Porcelli at (516) 739-1851 to learn more about veneers at his Garden City, NY, office.